If you want to learn about Bluetooth Mesh, whether you want to start with the basics or you’d like to dive deeper and learn how to develop Bluetooth Mesh, it is quite challenging to find the resources on Google alone.
Our aim with this Resources Page is to provide you with the best and most comprehensive list of Bluetooth Mesh related content and information on the internet.
If you find that something is missing, email us the link you’d like to add and why you think it should be added.
A List of the Best Bluetooth Mesh Resources
The best blogs you can read are notably the official blog from the Bluetooth SIG, as well as the blogs by Nordic Semiconductor:
- BLUETOOTH BLOG by Bluetooth SIG (Filter for “Mesh”) ⭐️
- Get Connected Blog by Nordic Semiconductor ⭐️
- DevZone Blog by Nordic Semiconductor ⭐️
Also follow our MESHLE Blog which is focussed solely on Bluetooth Mesh and its applications.
In addition, we find the following articles worth reading:
- Bluetooth Mesh: Technology Overview, Examples, Alternatives, and First-Hand Experience (INTEGRA SOURCES, 2021)
- The Ultimate Bluetooth Mesh Tutorial, Part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Novel Bits)
- Understanding Bluetooth Mesh Networking – Introduction to Bluetooth Technology (Tech Briefs, 2019)
- Bluetooth Mesh Protocol as Applied to Lighting (LED professional, 2019)
Articles by the Bluetooth SIG development team
We’ve mentioned the BLUETOOTH BLOG already, but especially the following articles written by the team of Bluetooth SIG and will help you get started in Bluetooth Mesh:
- An Intro to Bluetooth Mesh Part 1
- An Intro to Bluetooth Mesh Part 2
- The Fundamental Concepts of Bluetooth Mesh Networking Part 1
- The Fundamental Concepts of Bluetooth Mesh Networking Part 2
- Bluetooth Mesh Networking: Friendship
- Management of Devices in a Bluetooth Mesh Network
- In-Market Bluetooth Low Energy Devices and Bluetooth Mesh Networking
- Bluetooth Mesh Security Overview
- Provisioning a Bluetooth Mesh Network Part 1
- Provisioning a Bluetooth Mesh Network Part 2
Unfortunately, there are only very few podcasts available on Bluetooth Mesh as a topic. In fact, there is not a single podcast whose entire focus is Bluetooth Mesh. However, the following podcast episodes are dedicated to Bluetooth Mesh:
- Get a Grip on Lighting Podcast #98 with Szymon Slupik: “Meshy Bluetooth”
- Moore’s Lobby Podcast #9 “Mesh Networking for IoT Smart Homes with ZigBee, Z-Wave, and Bluetooth”
- IoT Podcast – Internet of Things #121: “Everything you need to know about Bluetooth Mesh”
- The Mr. Beacon Podcast #53 with Szymon Slupik: “Bluetooth Mesh”
- The Mr. Beacon Podcast #52 with Mark Powell: “Bluetooth SIG”
Talks & Videos
When it comes to video content, the Bluetooth SIG again offers the widest range of talks, webinars and more on Bluetooth Mesh technology. You can browse and watch all the videos on their homepage.
In addition, there are only very few solid videos on YouTube:
- An Introduction to Bluetooth Mesh for Developers by Martin Woolley (53 Minutes, 2018)
- Bluetooth Mesh Overview by LEDI (10 Minutes, 2020)
Bluetooth SIG offers email updates on resources they publish, which you can subscribe to here. In addition, you can subscribe to our MESHLE email newsletter, which is focussed all around Bluetooth Mesh.
- Bluetooth Mesh Networking A Complete Guide by Gerardus Blokdyk (2021)
- Intro to Bluetooth Low Energy: The easiest way to learn BLE by Mohammad Afaneh (2018)
- Building Bluetooth Low Energy Systems by Muhammad Usama bin Aftab (2017)
- Getting Started with Bluetooth Low Energy: Tools and Techniques for Low-Power Networking by Kevin Townsend, Carles Cufi, Akiba & Robert Davidson (2014)
- Bluetooth Low Energy: The Developer’s Handbook by Robin Heydon (2012)
- [Free] An Introduction to Bluetooth Mesh Software Development V2.0 by Bluetooth SIG (Study Guide)
- [Free] Practical Bluetooth Low Energy on Android by Erik Hellmann (Slides)
- [Free] Bluetooth Low Energy for Modern Android Development by Erik Hellmann (Slides)
- [$49] Bluetooth Developer Academy by Novel Bits (Online Course)
Forums and Communities
- DevZone by Nordic Semiconductor ⭐️
- stackoverflow with [bluetooth] or [bluetooth-lowenergy]
- Subreddit r/embedded (Search for BLE or Bluetooth)
- Subreddit r/bluetooth
- “Bluetooth SOC using nRF52xxx. All you need to know to get started” on Reddit by u/000is911
Supplier of Bluetooth Chips
And many more! A list of 29 Bluetooth SoC manufacturers can be found in the directory of everythingRF.
In addition to the Bluetooth chip, there are 3rd party manufacturers who are offering Bluetooth modules. These modules are already certified in specific regions, which accelerates and simplifies the development process. For our recommended Nordic chip, you can find a list of 3rd party modules here.
Many companies already employ Bluetooth Mesh technology. If you like, you can browse this directory of companies and qualified Bluetooth Mesh products.
If you want to integrate Bluetooth Mesh into your products as well, we at MESHLE can help you with this.
Are you seeking employment or want to do an internship? We at MESHLE are constantly looking for developers who are passionate and interested in BLE — whether you are just getting started or already an expert. Simply contact us, and we will get in touch with you.